// -->

STORY: LIKE A FAIRYTALE - Chapter 5. What was lost.



Days passed, weeks walked and months went away but Daniel and I stayed.
I finally had someone to match my mismatched steps with. I fell, he fell. We were crazy and in love and that was all that mattered.

“I have to go Bangalore for a month. I am leaving tomorrow.”
“I will miss you.” Daniel’s sweet yet sexy voice made me wish I could stop.
“Don’t make some new girlfriend. Stay away from that hot Malini from the sales department.”
“Malini who?”
“The one that keeps staring at you with those lusty eyes. I don’t like her.”
“Her? Is she anything in comparison to you? Let me think, yes she is 10, minus 10.”
“Aww... I love you.”
“I love you too. You are better than all but yes maybe I will make out with her, I mean you've just said  she is hot.”
“Shut up, I will kill you.”
“I’ll die before you could kill me, if you won’t facecam with me every single day.”
“Copy that.”
“I’ll drop you to the airport. Stay if I won’t be able to let you go. Please.”
“Haye! My sweet talker, I want you to sleep now. We have to wake up early.

The very next morning after some 10 or 20 don’t-gos and kisses, I finally bid farewell to my love. I saw Rajshree waving at me from a distance and I hurried towards her as soon as I noticed.

Strangled by a stranger, dropping my passport, taking it back from the his hand, I spent 10 minutes on the way which was supposed to be covered in 5.
“Dude, you got some super awesome luck.” There was a spark in Rajshree’s eyes.
“What do you mean? I didn’t get you.”
“Your boyfriend is one of the most handsome man I know. And just now, you bumped into the most handsome guy in our office.”
“Really? I didn’t even noticed. Who was he? That handsome blonde from the Sales? Richard is his name, right? I had a crush on him the very first day of job.”
“No, you stupid. No firang, it was Nivant Singh, our Manager and the most handsome man on this planet.”
“I've heard this name. I wonder how I never noticed him. Oh! He is the guy you keeps crushing on. Right?”
“He is the guy every single girl crushes on. Do you know once the IT geeks did this stupid company survey to find out the most handsome guy in the company and Nivant Singh was. Every single woman loves him. Even all the women at senior level in the Mumbai and Bangalore branch voted for him. He is so sexy, I once heard that his Personal Assistant proposed to him but he refused. She was very sexy to be honest.”
“Then why did he said no?”
“Well... people say he have a girlfriend.”
“Is she pretty?”
“Nobody knows. I mean he has never brought her to any office party, there are no pictures of her on any of his Facebook, Twitter or Instagram profile.”
“How do you know? You stalk him. You lover girl!”
“I have a crush on him so it’s okay. I guess. Though please don’t tell anyone. Maybe he is engaged, I always wear this ring in his hand. I hope he is not. People say nobody know his actual relationship status but he don’t ever let that ring go, so basically he is engaged in secret. But never tells anyone. I don't like that.”

And as Rajshree sang the song of her love towards our manager, I wondered how it would feel when I and Daniel will be engaged. I wondered how it would feel to sleep beside him and wake up with that “Good Morning, my Lady” in his sexy voice will sound like.


I was lying on the bed, talking to Daniel in my I-am-so-tired voice. Intentionally, I knew he find it sexy, when I was snapped out of my happy place by Rajshree’s voice.

“He lost his ring, I have to find it that’s my only chance to talk to him. His ring is lost. Yohoo!”
“Whose ring? And calm down I am talking to my boyfriend.”
“Nivant. His ring is lost and he is all furious and tensed and if I will find it, I’ll finally get the chance to talk to him.”
“Nivant? The manager? He lost his ring? Babe, if you’ll find it bring it to me. That ring is… wow. That gem on it, it seems really really expensive.” Daniel said on the phone.
“Gay?”
“Ehh! Do I kiss you like one?”
“Muuahh. I have to go.” While Rajshree’s man knew how to lose his favorite ring, my man certainly knew how to make his woman blush.
I disconnected the call and held Rajshree’s hand who was hastily walking in the room from one end to the other.

“How are you planning to find this ring?”
“I don’t know. But I have to.”
“Plan it out and think wisely. And just calm down. I am going to have a bath. You just stay calm okay? Breathe. Think.”

I turned my favorite song, no, our favorite song on. Lyrics by lyrics, every word and every memory of ours was mixed within the steam, slowly, the scent of our love was lingering around me. All I could think of, was him and only him.

“Rajshree, can you please pass me my moisturizer? It’s in my bag.
A second later I heard her screaming out of joy. “I found it, it was strangled in your bag’s chain. Oh my God! Even God want us both together. Aaahhhhh! I am going to my love.”
“But my moisture…” a thud of the door and she was gone. I realized how amazing the day was, I was finally away from my Daniel and he was finally going to miss me like crazy and Rajshree also got the chance to talk to her crush.
I walked out of the room grabbed my bag to find what Rajshree forgot to give me. But I was unable to find it.
I opened my suitcase, carefully checked for it between my clothes. I unpacked the photo frames with pictures of me and Daniel and also me and my family. I started placing them beside my bed one by one when I found a little wooden box in my bag.
Unfortunately, I didn’t recognized it but I knew it was mine. I opened it and there was a pendant. A gem with beautiful blue and green lines. It was something I knew I have never seen before.
I recalled that Daniel told me before leaving that he has asked my mother to put a gift in my suitcase so I could only see it once I reach there. “This is so beautiful.” I wore it, clicked a picture and sent it to him. I checked the time, it was 2 in the night so I kept my phone aside because I knew Daniel was asleep and so, waiting for his reply was a waste.
When I finally failed to find the moisturizer in my bag, I reached towards Raj’s bag and saw her phone beside it. “She must have forgotten to take it with her” I thought and took her phone and unlocked it to send all the crazy selfies that we took on our way, to my phone.
I saw a picture of a man with a face familiar to someone I knew, but it was all so blur in my memory that I was unable to recognize him. I clicked on the picture and no, nothing but a blurred image in my mind. A guy, me and some orange-yellow light.

I checked for more pictures and after finding a gazillion pictures of one man, I concluded ‘it was Nivant’.
I zoomed in one of his photos to have a clear picture of the ring my boyfriend was getting so crazy about and oddly, the ring seemed familiar too.
I looked at another picture, a close up this time and zoomed at the ring and read something like “With her, till eternity”. I looked at the pendant, the stone on the ring was exactly the same. I was confused, I was sure that I never saw or noticed Nivant before this day but now suddenly, I remembered his face, I remembered his ring. And how did I remembered the words, written on the ring?
15 minutes ago, I found myself in an unfamiliar place. A river, a waterfall, sky full of stars and the land lit up by thousands of candles. And there was me and there was Nivant.


How did Riva know Nivant? Was there some connection or she was just overthinking? Or maybe she was just making things up in her mind. But whatever it is, the real question now is, now with Nivant in the picture, what will happen to Riva and Daniel's perfect relationship?
FIND OUT IN THE NEXT PART.

4 comments